Make the Most of Your Job Search This Holiday Season
Depression is covered in the media every holiday season, but job seekers shouldn't be among the downtrodden. The holidays actually provide more opportunities for job seekers to connect with potential employers.
According to the experts at leading career services company Lee Hecht Harrison, people who view the holiday season positively often have success because they make the most of available opportunities.
"People who believe the misconception that job searching is a waste of time between Thanksgiving and mid-January are reducing their chances of landing an offer at a time that many hiring decisions are made," says Leonard Posey, senior vice president and general manager of Lee Hecht Harrison's Parsippany office. "During the holidays, competition is reduced and most organizations have developed their budgets for the coming year and can predict their hiring needs and goals."
The executives at Lee Hecht Harrison offer these tips for capitalizing on this season's opportunities:
- Set measurable goals and work towards them every day. Don't give in to depression or procrastination. You should approach your job search with the same gusto as other seasons of the year.
- Attend holiday gatherings: Holiday parties provide valuable networking opportunities. Be sure to let people know you are looking for a new position.
- Be flexible: The end of the year is a busy time, so be prepared to interview on short notice.
- Volunteer your time for a worthy cause: Many charitable organizations need extra help during the holidays. Volunteering can offer great chances to network.
- Send holiday cards to companies with which you've recently interviewed: It's a great way to follow up and remind hiring managers that you are still open to meeting with them.
Remaining upbeat and making the most of the many job search opportunities that the season brings may lead to a great new year, complete with a new position.
Established in 1974, Lee Hecht Harrison is the leading global career services company specializing in providing outplacement, leadership development/coaching and career development services. Its focus is helping organizations and their employees deal with career transitions, career management and the effect of change on careers, work and employability.