Nikon Updates PictureProject and Capture Software to Expand Features and Enhance Experience With Nikon Digital Cameras
Nikon Inc. (http://www.nikondigital.com) today released new versions of its PictureProject software -- created for organizing, editing, designing and sharing digital images (Version 1.5) -- as well as Nikon's Capture image processing software (Version 4.2). Both software feature creative new tools and enhancements that offer users the ability to do more with their Nikon digital photography, especially when working with Nikon's Electronic Format image files, called NEF. To further extend the capabilities of the high performance software suite, Nikon also announced four new plug-ins for PictureProject 1.5. Each plug-in allows users of all levels to selectively add the features they find most useful to their existing software package and digital file capabilities. PictureProject 1.5 is included with all Nikon digital cameras and Capture 4.2 can be purchased from Nikon authorized dealers or at the Nikon Mall at http://www.nikonusa.com.
"Nikon's Software is an integral part of Nikon's Total Imaging System, and in particular for the optimal image processing of the Nikon Electronic Format (NEF) digital image files. PictureProject enhances users' experience of digital photography and helps them organize, edit, design and share their digital images easily and effectively, while Capture offers advanced image processing for NEF and ensures that photographers will realize the full potential of Nikon's NEF (RAW) image files," said Richard LoPinto, senior vice president for Product, Technology and Engineering at Nikon Inc. "The latest versions of these software packages will offer real solutions to consumers and photographers looking for excellent ways to share pictures, or even new ways to apply creativity to pictures. Using Nikon software is easy and fun and we're confident consumers will find tremendous value in PictureProject and Capture software."
PictureProject 1.5 -- New Features and Plug-ins
New plug-ins available for PictureProject 1.5 software allow users to do more with their pictures, like add special effects, create DVD slideshows with music, or even control select Coolpix cameras remotely from their computers. The plug-ins include Coolpix Remote Control, DVD Show, nik® Color Efex Pro 2.0 Express Edition and PictureProject In Touch.
PictureProject Coolpix Remote Control allows users to operate the Coolpix 8400 and Coolpix 8800 cameras remotely from a compatible computer (Mac and PC versions) -- a feature likely to be used in a wide variety of hobbyist and business applications, including the preparation of pictures for presentations, inspections, weather observation, and product shots. With a compatible camera connected via USB and with Nikon's latest free firmware upgrade installed in the camera, the plug-in allows users to adjust and control various settings of the camera such as the shutter release, zoom, image quality and size, flash mode and auto focus mode, among others. Users can also get a near-real time shot preview and transfer pictures directly from the camera to their computer's hard drive, eliminating the need to swap memory cards while shooting.
PictureProject DVD Show is a plug-in for PictureProject that makes slide show creation and playback more fun by automating the process of editing movie clips or pictures. The click of a single button performs even difficult editing operations, with the selection of 24 different presentation styles automatically handling the necessary editing to achieve the desired effect. Sample style effects include Over-the-Top Music Video, Fifties TV and Classic Sepia. DVD Show can also incorporate transitions into video creations, which are automatically timed to follow the rhythm of the selected music track. The completed video productions can be saved to CD or DVD media and played back on DVD players.
nik Color Efex Pro 2.0 Express Edition is a set of fifteen plug-in filters that adds a variety of effects to PictureProject and Nikon Capture 4 (Ver. 4.1 or later), greatly enhancing the ability to enhance and transform images. The modules make it possible to perform professional-looking filter work, and also add a new dimension of enjoyment to working with digital images. The fifteen filters include 'Old Photo: Black and White', which emulates different old-fashioned black and white photographic styles, 'Graduated Orange', which adds a warm, gradated orange effect to the entire image, and 'Midnight Blue', which applies a cinematic day-for-night "midnight" blue effect. The filters are packaged as a new lower priced entry-level set of the filters already offered in the nik Color Efex Pro 2.0 for Nikon Capture 4 series.
PictureProject In Touch incorporates Nikon's next generation photo-sharing technology to allow users to transmit photos from the sender's computer to recipients' computers without uploading them to a website or attaching them in an email. Nikon's computer servers act as facilitators in the sharing process and also temporarily store sent/received pictures. PictureProject In-Touch will be available for download to Nikon customers at no charge when they sign up at Nikon's website. The software can be used by Nikon digital photographers using the share function in PictureProject and by their family and friends as a stand-alone software application.
Nikon Capture 4.2 -- New Features and Plug-ins
Nikon's Capture software includes an important selection of tools that are designed to be used exclusively with Nikon's NEF file format. Nikon Capture software is tightly integrated into the Nikon Total Imaging System, and together with a Nikon digital SLR, offers the highest level of performance and output for NEF files. Now, Nikon has updated its Capture image editing software to version 4.2. Capture 4.2 adds support for NEF files from the recently announced Nikon D2X digital SLR camera, making the software compatible with NEF images from all Nikon D-Series digital SLR cameras introduced to date, as well as select Coolpix digital cameras which can save files as NEF. Capture 4.2 also includes an updated Camera Control console that enables complete wireless remote control of the D2X digital SLR (using Nikon's optional WT-2A Wi-Fi attachment) and allows photographers to control most settings on the camera and trigger the shutter wirelessly from a computer via an IEEE 802.11g, Wi-Fi connection, as well as wirelessly retrieve images shot with the camera directly to their computer. Other notable new features in Capture 4.2 include:
- D-Lighting -- Nikon's exclusive design that corrects for images with backlighting, insufficient flash or underexposure without harming the properly exposed areas or introducing unwanted artifacts. Featuring High Speed (HS) and High Quality (HQ) options, users can let this amazing feature work automatically, or make manual adjustments when they want to take control. D-Lighting can be effectively used for Nikon's NEF, JPEG and TIFF file types and applied retroactively to such files made prior to the new technology's development.
- Straighten Tool -- allows you to make subtle adjustments up to 10: in either direction to correct your horizon; use the set-degree of rotation control or draw the horizon line with the software's tool
- Multi Image Window & Match Settings -- lets you browse thumbnails and work on multiple images from any folder on your hard drive or other media such as a memory card, CD or DVD. Using the Match Settings function, you can select one "master" image and select any number of "subordinate" images to mirror any changes made on the "master" image. Both of these features are huge timesavers in the workflow.
- LCH Editor -- Luminosity (lightness), Chroma (saturation), and Hue can be independently adjusted using individual editor dialogs within the LCH Editor tool palette. Also uses a de-saturate tool so that you can create monochromatic B&W images with selected individual colors for highlight and special creative effect.
- Saturation settings -- four settings adjust the vividness of images without changing the hue.
- Filter plug-in support -- Support for nik® Color Efex Pro 2.0 plug-in photographic filters. The filters are available in four sets - the Complete Edition contains 75 filters, the Select Edition 45 filters, and the Standard Edition 19 filters, and the newly announced Express Version includes a selection of 15 exciting filters.
- Photo Effects -- allows photographers to shift gray scale, adjust for enhanced dark tones and shift between complimentary colors in RGB and CYM. A separate slider control also enables adjustment of brightness, contrast and RGB settings across the image.
Nikon will continue to expand the enjoyment of digital photography through exciting new enhancements to its expansive suite of software products. For more information about PictureProject 1.5, Nikon Capture 4.2 or Nikon plug-in modules, please visit http://www.nikondigital.com.
Nikon...If the picture matters, the camera matters. Nikon Inc. is the world leader in precision optics, 35mm and digital imaging technology and is recognized worldwide for setting new standards in product design and performance for its award-winning consumer and professional photographic equipment. Nikon Inc. distributes the Nikon Total Imaging System of consumer and professional 35mm film and digital SLR cameras, Nikkor optics, Speedlights and System Accessories; 35mm compact cameras; Nikon Coolpix® compact digital cameras; Coolscan® digital film scanners; Nikonos® underwater photographic systems; and Nikon sports and recreational optics. Through the Nikon Spirit Initiative, the company, plays an active role in supporting aspiring and advanced photographers through a variety of philanthropic organizations, educational programs, events and workshops. For more information, dial (800) NIKON-US or visit http://www.nikonusa.com, which links all levels of photographers to the web's most comprehensive photo learning and sharing communities.