StuffIt Shrinks JPEG Photos up to 30% With No Quality Loss in New Compression Breakthrough Now Available From Allume
Allume Systems, Inc., an IMSI company (BULLETIN BOARD: IMSI) , today shipped StuffIt Deluxe 9.0 for Windows. With its revolutionary new photo compression technology, StuffIt achieves a level of compression no other product has been able to do, allowing users to reduce the size of their JPEG photos up to 30% with absolutely no loss in image quality. Where existing archive technologies such as zip are unable to further compress JPEG photos, StuffIt's patent-pending technology enables users to fit more data onto CDs, DVDs, and other storage and backup media. Allume's new technology also provides a significant bandwidth saving for professionals, businesses, and hobbyists looking to share images over the Internet or on the network. http://www.stuffit.com/ .
StuffIt Deluxe 9 includes ZipFolders, exclusive patented technology that allows users' computers to open zip archives as if they were regular Windows folders. Only StuffIt allows users to access zipped files directly from the Open dialog of all favorite applications. Users can even modify compressed files and save them back into the zip archive without ever having to decompress it. ZipFolders, sets a new standard for transparent access to all zipped files.
"By allowing customers to now compress their JPEG files we've solved on of the biggest problems that users face when using legacy compression technologies such as zip," said Matthew Covington, Senior Product Manager at Allume. "The integration of our new photo compression, anti-virus, and ZipFolders makes StuffIt the most innovative compression software on the market today. StuffIt raises the bar for what customers should expect from their software."
StuffIt 9.0 New Features:
- New! ZipMagic® -- StuffIt Deluxe 9 includes a brand new Windows XP-compatible version of it's patented ZipMagic technology. ZipMagic is a device driver that provides transparent access to zip archives from Windows Explorer and any application. ZipMagic allows users to work with items stored in zip archives exactly as they would work with items stored in a regular directory; users can open documents located in Zip archives from the "Open" dialog of their favorite application, make changes and save the document back to the archive, all without having to decompress the file.
- New! Virus Protection -- StuffIt now includes new ways to protect users from receiving viruses embedded in compressed archives. StuffIt works with installed virus scanning software (including solutions from McAfee, Symantec, Computer Associates, Trend Micro and all popular anti-virus software) to scan all files automatically when they are expanded from an archive.
- New! Whole Archive Encryptions -- StuffIt now has the ability to encrypt a whole archive so that a password is required to open and browse the contents of the archives.
- New! System Tray Launcher -- Now access all of StuffIt's major functions and features from the System Tray, giving the user another convenient way to access or compress their files and images.
- New! Console Application -- StuffIt now includes a Console application designed specifically to allow users to script StuffIt functions in a Windows console environment.
- New and Improved! User Interface -- An updated interface makes StuffIt even easier to use and gives the user greater customization options. Also the Wizards were updated adding new functionality.
- Improved! Compression speed and Compression rates -- StuffIt 9 is faster than earlier versions and the compression methods were optimized to produce even smaller archives.
- New and Improved! Cross Platform Support -- StuffIt now preserves the Macintosh OS file information under Windows.
- Improved! DiskIndex -- Now faster than earlier versions, users can create a searchable index of any CD or DVD. They can list all the files stored on the disc and the contents of any archives on a disc, enabling them to quickly browse and search CDs and DVDs even when the discs are not inserted in the computer. The Disk Index works in tandem with StuffIt's powerful ArchiveSearch feature, which browses and searches archives still stored on the computer hard drive.
Pricing and Availability
StuffIt Deluxe for Windows' MSRP is $39.99 and is available directly from Allume and popular retailers. Upgrades are $14.99 for existing registered StuffIt users. Allume is also offering a competitive upgrade to users of any standalone compression software product, for $14.99, until the end of May 2005. http://www.stuffit.com/store/upgrades.html .
Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, XP, or 2003 Server; at least 64MB of installed RAM; 40MB hard disk space.
Allume Systems, Inc: Everyday Solutions
Founded in 1988, Allume Systems, Inc., an IMSI company, develops and publishes award-winning software solutions for Windows and Macintosh. Allume's leading brands are StuffIt®, Internet Cleanup and Spring Cleaning®, Personal ImageManager. Formerly known as Aladdin Systems, Allume Systems enables people and businesses to communicate and manage their ideas and information. Allume's software offers a range of solutions, empowering users in the areas of information access, removal, recovery, security, productivity and Internet distribution.
Allume Systems is located at 245 Westridge Drive, Watsonville, CA 95076, USA; telephone: 831-761-6200; fax: 831-761-6206. Internet: http://www.allume.com/ or http://www.stuffit.com/.
Founded in 1982, IMSI's flagship product TurboCAD(R) and DesignCAD make it a leader in the precision design market. The company's online properties focus on the sale of content and services to the architectural, engineering and construction market through its stock house plans site at Houseplans.com (http://www.houseplans.com/ and http://www.homeplanfinder.com/ ) and the online CAD symbol site, http://www.cadsymbols.com/. IMSI on the Net: http://www.imsisoft.com/, www.turbocad.com, and www.orgchartpro.com.