The CreativePro Weekly Top 10, vol. 6
1. If you enjoyed Ilene Strizver’s list of where to find the best typefaces of 2013, definitely take a look at Typographica’s newly published list of Favorite Typefaces of 2013. With 54 gorgeous new typefaces, this list might keep you busy till 2015.
2. I know you were promised there would be no math here at CreativePro, but even if you’re allergic to algebra, you still should check out the book Golden Meaning: Fifty-five Graphic Experiments by GraphicDesign&. It demystifies and explores the relationship between graphic design and mathematics through the works of 55 designers, typographers, and image-makers.
3. And for even more proof that it’s fun to mix art and science, behold the Illustrated barcodes of Steve Simpson. Yes, that is a fully functional barcode below that can be enjoyed by both humans and barcode scanners alike. And there are many more inspirational examples at Steve’s Behance page.
4. One of the big new features of Photoshop CC is the ability to work with 3D objects and send them to a printing service like Shapeways.com to make them into real things. Here at CreativePro, Steve Caplin reviewed the new 3D printing features and showed us how to create lithopanes (aka 3D photos). For another awesome example of using Photoshop to make real-life objects, read Paul Trani’s 3D Printing Beginners Guide for Creatives, and watch the video below to see how he made one sweet custom iPhone case.
5. OK, so Leonardo DiCaprio’s Great Gatsby movie might not be the definitive portrayal of the man from West Egg. But that doesn’t mean you can’t get some use out of the wonderful Great Gatsby Inspired Design Resources at Colourlovers.com. Champagne not included.
6. Keyboard shortcuts are great time-saving tools, and apps like Photoshop have a million of ’em—many more than most of us could ever remember. So if you’d rather not have to strain your brain (and your fingers) in the name of efficiency, you might be interested in a Kickstarter project to create a dedicated editing keyboard for Photoshop. Compatible with CS3 and later, it will offer one-touch access to over 300 tools and commands.
7. For most of us, negotiating salaries is about as pleasant and comfortable as a root canal performed by a honey badger. But it’s much worse to feel like you’re not getting paid what you’re worth. So for some tips and design salary resources, check out this excerpt from Nail It: Stories for Designers on Negotiating with Confidence.
8. In addition to all the great new typefaces appearing today, there are many fantastic old ones that have never been digitized and await rediscovery. Jim Felici wrote about some of these forgotten greats in his posts, Ten Lost Text Faces and Ten Display Faces That Digital Forgot. One such typeface that is finally coming to digital is Forma, a neo-grotesk designed in the mid-60s with several key advantages over Helvetica. Over at the Font Bureau blog, Finding Forma tells the fascinating tale of how this typeface is being revived.
9. Take a dusty old, I mean “vintage mid-century,” camera that you could probably pick up at a flea market or yard sale for a few bucks. Refurbish it and replace some of the metal and plastic parts with beautiful, hand-tooled hardwood, and what do you get? Something that makes me salivate like Pavlov’s dogs and want to tell the folks at Anchors and Anvils to shut up and take my money!
10. And finally, if you love type (and you really, really don’t need to get anything else done today), pour yourself a caffeinated beverage, find a comfortable spot, and click over to the 100 Top Resources for Typography and Hand-Lettering at gomediazine.com. And see you next week!
Liked This? Read These!
Whether you’re looking for your next great full-time adventure, a part-time supplement, or great freelance projects, this place called the World Wide Web offers a number of great places to find... Read More
Let your fingers do the ’shopping with this handy reference sheet for Mac and Windows. Read More
Press Release Apparent has unveiled Barcode Producer 6.0, a major upgrade to the company's award-winning Mac barcode software suite. Used for retail packages, books, coupons, stickers,... Read More
Download a set of dozens of new Photoshop keyboard shortcuts to increase your efficiency and teach your fingers some new dance steps! Read More