- Features: Written by Dave Awl on July 3, 2013In a follow-up to last week's post on The Rise of the Hashtag, here are some tips and pointers for using them to promote your own work.
- Features: Written by Dave Awl on June 28, 2013Now that hashtags work on Facebook, their domination of the social media landscape is complete—and they've become a force in pop culture, politics, and marketing, too. Here's a look at how they rose to prominence, and some tips on using them effectively.
- Features: Written by Dave Awl on May 23, 2013The public meltdown of two restaurant owners featured on Kitchen Nightmares has everyone talking. Here's how to avoid starring in a social media nightmare of your own.
- Features: Written by Dave Awl on March 29, 2013
If you’re a social media-savvy creative professional — and since you’re reading this, I’ve got a pretty good hunch you are — you probably already have a professional profile on LinkedIn. But in addition to profiles for individuals, these days LinkedIn also offers pages for companies.
Figure 1: Peachpit Press’s page on LinkedIn is a good example of a well-developed company page.
- Features: Written by Dave Awl on February 27, 2013
Getting the word out has never been something you can do all by yourself: It takes a village. Even Paul Revere, as he galloped from town to town in 1775, needed to enlist the help of influential networkers in each community to make sure his message got to everyone who needed to hear it.
In the social media age, reaching the widest possible audience involves encouraging your audience to assist you in getting the word out — by making it as easy as possible for them to reshare your content with their own friends and followers.
- Features: Written by Dave Awl on January 23, 2013
I’ll admit it. A year or so ago, I thought Pinterest might be a flash in the pan. (Or maybe a “flash in the pin”?) Social media flavor of the year, the new kid on the block, the youngest who got all the attention. But I wondered if its popularity would last.
- Features: Written by Dave Awl on December 12, 2012
Sharing links is a big part of what makes Facebook’s social media world go ‘round. If you’re an active Facebooker, you may take pride in curating a steady stream of entertaining, informative, and thought-provoking articles, blog posts, and videos to share with your audience — in addition to sharing links to your own creative work from time to time.
- Features: Written by Dave Awl on November 26, 2012Using Facebook’s handy scheduling feature for business pages helps you post more effectively by planning your content in advance.
- Features: Written by Dave Awl on October 29, 2012