Ilene Strizver, founder of The Type Studio, as well as TypeCast Webinars, is a noted typographic educator, consultant, designer and writer. She specializes in all aspect of visual communication, from the aesthetic to the technical. Ilene has written and lectured extensively on type and typographic design to both students and professionals in the field.
Ilene formerly was the Director of Typeface Development for International Typeface Corporation (ITC) where she developed more than 300 text and display typefaces with such respected and world-renowned type designers as Sumner Stone, Erik Spiekermann, Jill Bell, Jim Parkinson, Tim Donaldson, and the late Phill Grimshaw. She “cut her typographic teeth” by working on Upper and Lowercase (U&lc) and other type projects with such legendary icons as Ed Benguiat, Aaron Burns and Herb Lubalin.
Her clients include Monotype Imaging Corporation, Adobe, International Typeface Corporation (ITC), Linotype, Time Inc., Whole Foods, Harlequin Books, MeadWestvaco, Johnson & Johnson, Somerset Entertainment, Integrated Marketing, Parents Magazine, Nationwide Insurance, and Life is good.
Ilene has written for HOW, Dynamic Graphics, STEP Inside, as well as authoring the popular column, fy(t)i For Your Typographic Information and contributing to the Fontology series for fonts.com. Her book, Type Rules! The designer’s guide to professional typography, 3rd edition (4th to be released late 2013), has received numerous accolades from the type and design community. She conducts her widely acclaimed Gourmet Typography workshops internationally. For more information on attending one or bringing it to your company, organization, or school, go to her site, call The Type Studio at 203-227-5929, or email Ilene at firstname.lastname@example.org. Sign up for her e-newsletter, All Things Typographic, at http://www.thetypestudio.com.
- Features: Written by Ilene Strizver on September 17, 2014Learn how to make the most of your fonts with features that allow for more expressive, sophisticated, and professional typography.
- Features: Written by Ilene Strizver on August 27, 2014Q&A with one of the most highly-respected and accomplished lettering designers working today
- Features: Written by Ilene Strizver on July 1, 2014One of the most accomplished and prolific designers of script typefaces reveals how she got started, where she finds inspiration, what her toughest challenges are, and more.
- Features: Written by Ilene Strizver on June 11, 2014Our retrospective of the groundbreaking U&lc (Upper and lowercase) magazine continues with a look back at some of this iconic magazine’s innovative headline treatments.
- Features: Written by Ilene Strizver on April 8, 2014We continue our retrospective of the groundbreaking U&lc (Upper and lowercase) magazine with a look back at the creative use and execution of initial letters and words.
- Features: Written by Ilene Strizver on March 12, 2014We continue our retrospective of the groundbreaking U&lc (Upper and lowercase) magazine with an exploration of the use of type shapes, also referred to as contoured type.